The business of the group is to gather and save old records, photos and memorabilia of the area. We have collected quite a lot from people who live in Newton Poppleford and the nearby villages and towns, but people have moved away in past decades but might still have photos etc. that would be valuable for our project.
Did you or your parents/grandparents live here in past years? If you did please take a look around in the attic, or bottom of the wardrobe for those shoeboxes of old photos and other bits that we might borrow and copy or scan for our archives. Perhaps you would write down or record some of those memories when your relative talks about the old times – we’d love to see/hear these.
We are trying to identify photos of people and places … Can you identify (or confirm the identity of) any of the following:
We are also seeking to borrow and scan old photos of:
- Oak Tree Garage when it had the old Shell petrol pump visible
- The shops of the village as far back as possible
- The ‘Victoria Inn’ – a pub that used to stand in Newton Pop where Central Garage is now
- Eileen McKenna, who founded the Southern Cross Tearooms
- Any other old photos of Newton Poppleford’s plces and people!
Please contact Shân Merritt via firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help us. All photos will be handled carefully, scanned, and returned to their owners.